We're going to have a book!

Have you heard the news? We've caught ourselves a publisher! Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas will be publishing our book sometime in 2016. The title "You're the Cream in My Coffee" is still tentative, but I hope they stick with it because I've grown quite fond of it. 

Anyway, you call follow its progress on Jennifer's site. She'll need to do most of the work on it, since I, of course, am busy with other things, like working at Marshall Field and stalking that adorable manager in the Store for Men.

Have you ever thought about what a funny name Jennifer is? In the 1920s, it didn't even appear on the list of the most popular baby names in America, although I understand it was a more familiar name in the U.K. There were some "Jennys," but that was often a nickname for "Jane," the way "Sally" was a nickname for "Sarah" and "Molly" was a nickname for "Mary".

In the 1940s an actress named Jennifer Jones rose to stardom, but her real name wasn't Jennifer, it was Phyllis. Anyway, I suppose that's when American parents started getting it into their heads that this was an appropriate name to give a baby, and a unique name at that. By the 1970s, it was the opposite of unique--it was the most popular baby name for girls. And now its popularity has waned again. 

I don't know why there aren't more Marjories these days. I think it's a delightful name! I understand it means "pearl," which is funny because a  character in another novel that Jennifer is writing is named Pearl. But I'm not supposed to talk about that, so keep it under your hat! You didn't hear it from me.

Toodle-oo for now,

Marjorie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please remain civil, and bear in mind what Emily Post wrote in 1923: "The letter you write, whether you realize it or not, is always a mirror which reflects your appearance, taste and character. . . . A "sloppy" letter proclaims the sort of person who would have unkempt hair, unclean linen and broken shoe laces."